Friday, March 21, 2014

Chapter 1

      After the plane crash, I had been walking around for a while looking for the other boys and I came upon some fat kid who convinced me to blow on a shell to try to find the others. It actually worked! The other boys came walking out of the bushes being led by a kid named Jack. Everybody decided that we needed a leader and that it should be either Jack or me. They all took a vote and Jack's followers picked him but everyone else picked me. This gave me a full head of confidence and made me feel very important. I knew that this was a very large responsibility and that I needed to start assigning jobs to people and making rules. Since Jack and his boys did not vote for me I decided to give them payback by assigning them to hunting. I then told Jack and one of his boys to come with me to explore the jungle to see what we have to work with. After climbing a large rock and looking over our island, I felt a sense of warmth and enjoyment. This was our land and I am in charge of it. I couldn't wait to see what this island had to offer us. On the way back to the other boys, Jack chickened out of killing a wild pig that was caught up in some vines. This really made me question his bravery. He seemed to be more worried of his fear of killing animals than the importance of feeding our people. Although I was mad at Jack, I was just happy to have been picked as leader. I couldn't wait to show off my hard work and leadership skills.
       I definitely felt a personal connection to Ralph and his situation in this chapter. Ralph enjoys the position of leader and so would. I always believe that I have the best ideas and most efficient ways of doing things. I think I would do a good job at being fair as well as disciplining. I really enjoy nature and being able to do things outside. I also like being innovative and building things such as tree houses which would be very helpful in this situation. I think this part of the book is a perfect example of how a society starts and how people deal with it. In order for their to be a society there must be a fair leader and there must be order and communication. It seems to be going good now, but I don't think this organization within the kids will last that long.
"This is our island. It’s a good island. Until the grown-ups come to fetch us we’ll have fun." This quote shows how much Ralph enjoys being on the island with a bunch of kids and no adults. He enjoys freedom and nature, and that is exactly how I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment